Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I Am Not A Competitor

I love going to horse shows and watching the competitive events. I'm impressed by the athleticism of both the horses and their riders. There are even events I'd like to try.

I'd love to try barrel racing, pole bending, reining, mounted shooting and ranch sorting. They look like they'd be fun and a great way to experience the challenge of trying to control the power of a horse. Other than ranch sorting, they're all solo events. Maybe it would be possible to do the solo events just for fun without competing. Try them? Definitely! But compete? I don't think so.

The only person I like to compete against is myself. I like to see if I can do better every time. For example, in the Barrel Sim game by Rodeo Software, I only use the practice option. It also has a multi-player option and an online play option, but I haven't ever used them and don't ever intend to use them. When I'm done playing, I keep track of my high score for the session. I compare it to other high scores to see if I'm improving. Sometimes the score improves, sometimes it doesn't. My scores aren't very good right now, but that's not the reason I don't choose the multi-player or online play options. I play Barrel Sim to have fun, not to compete.

If I could participate without competing, I'd like to see how much time I can shave off my my barrel racing, pole bending and mounted shooting events. With reining, I'd like to see if I can improve my execution of the reining patterns. As with the Barrel Sim game, I'd want to compete only against myself and see how much I can improve.

I'm glad there are people who want to participate in competitive horse events and who enjoy competing. I just don't happen to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment