Saturday, May 18, 2013

If It Wasn't For Texas

Today is the 61st birthday of the King of Country Music, George Strait.

In his career, he's had 60 number one hits - making his goal of "60 for 60", to have his 60th number one hit while he was still 60. That gives him more number one songs than any artist in any genre. He's had 86 songs in the top ten country songs. Only Eddie Arnold with 92 had more. I wouldn't be surprised if that record falls.

The man himself is incredible. During the Viet Nam War, he didn't wait to be drafted. He enlisted because he believed it was the right thing to do. He wasn't sent to Viet Nam; he was stationed in Honolulu. Even though he's recorded a lot of love gone wrong songs, he's been married to his high school sweetheart, Norma, for more than 40 years. He supports the Wrangler National Patriot program, which helps support wounded veterans and the families of the veterans who gave all. Every year at the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo he hosts a celebrity golf tournament to raise money for breast cancer research. His faith is important to him and he credits his father for his faith, saying he took him and his brother to church every Sunday. He's proud of being from Texas and living there.

When he first arrived on the national country music scene, everyone told him, "Get rid of the hat." At that time, country music had more in common with pop music than country music. Nobody wore cowboy hats anymore. He refused. He was a real Texas cowboy. The hat was part of who he was, not some stage persona. With George Strait, the rebirth of country music began. Country artists who were inspired by him include Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Martina McBride, Toby Keith and Montgomery Gentry.

He's won more awards that I can list here. I remember watching one of the country award shows the year he won Best Album for Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind. I can't remember if it was the Country Music Association or the Academy of Country Music - he won Best Album from both. I do remember being excited when he was announced as the winner.

I don't know if I could pick just one favorite George Strait song. Sometimes which one I like best depends upon my mood. My feeling is you can't go wrong with a George Strait song!

I've been blessed to have attended two of his concerts. The first was his concert with Reba McEntyre in 2010. I was in the very last seat in the top row, but at least I was there! I was also able to attend my local venue for The Cowboy Rides Away tour. A dear friend knew I wanted to go but couldn't afford a ticket. So he bought a ticket for me to go! George Strait live is a great experience. He doesn't do much small talk - he gets on stage, sings his songs and makes only a few comments. He has the audience on their feet and singing along with him. The one thing I wish he had done during The Cowboy Rides Away was to introduce Norma, since she goes along with him on tour.

If it wasn't for Texas, we would have missed the greatest country singer ever - Mr. George Strait.


No comments:

Post a Comment