Monday, May 27, 2013

That Palomino Pal O'Mine

Since I'm writing this on Memorial Day, I want first of all to express my gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces who gave their lives to protect our freedom.

Palomino horses have always been my favorites. When I was a little girl, most of the Breyer model horses I collected were palominos. It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned palomino is a color breed, not a breed in and of itself. There is no guarantee that two palominos will produce palomino colored offspring. Since the color doesn't breed true, it isn't considered a separate breed.

Palomino horses have golden bodies with a white or light cream mane and tail. Their bodies can range in color from cream to dark gold. When I think of a palomino, I usually picture either Mister Ed or Trigger. Those two are probably the most famous palomino horses. They were both registered with the Palomino Horse Association.

Since palomino is a color breed, several breeds are recognized as palominos. Among those recognized by the Palomino Horse Breeders of America are: Holsteiner, Morgan, Quarter Horse, Paint, Saddlebred, Appaloosa, Arabian, Morab, Thoroughbred, Pinto, Missouri Fox Trotter and Tennessee Walking Horse. The Palomino Horse Association will recognize any horse based on color and conformation, regardless of breed.

I'm not sure where my love for these golden horses came from. For all I  know, it could have been that my first Breyer model horse was a palomino. I do remember that one time when I was sick, my dad gave me a Breyer grazing palomino foal as a get-well present.

A few years ago, I bought a Cowgirl Cadillac. This lovely horse continues my tradition of palomino horses.
Maybe my love for these horses is because of their beauty. When I'm at a horse show, I tend to favor taking photos of palomino horses. I do take photos of a variety of horses; I just generally tend to take more of palominos. Those golden horses draw me in and probably always will.

That's not to say that if the day ever comes when I'm a horse owner that the horse has to be a palomino. That would just be an added bonus.



No comments:

Post a Comment