Saturday, June 8, 2013

If I Could Change One Thing

This past Thursday and Friday (June 6 and 7, 2013), I walked through Theodore Wirth Park in North Minneapolis twice each day. It's a beautiful location and I had no idea it was so close to where I live. Flowers and trees are everywhere.

Theodore Wirth Parkway has a bike and pedestrian path along one side. At the time of day I was there, there was very little traffic and it was a peaceful walk. The bike riders were polite and many of them smiled as they rode by.

If I had the power to do so (I don't, so this is a "If Wishes Were Horses" post), there is one thing I would change about Theodore Wirth Park. I would take out part of the golf course - the part on the opposite side of Theodore Wirth Parkway from the bike and pedestrian path - and add a riding stable and a horse trail. I'd be sure they were a good distance from the bus stop, though, as the bus headed away from Theodore Wirth Park stops close to that part of the golf course.

I'll admit upfront this is a somewhat selfish wish. It would mean I could get to a riding stable without needing a driver's license, which is something I don't have - yet. It was so easy during my walks to picture horses there for trail rides. To be able to get to a riding stable by bus would be a dream come true for me.

The location would also make it possible for city kids to experience horses up close and personal. Unless they go to the Minnesota State Fair and hang around the horse barn (or go to the various horse shows at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds), city kids don't have a lot of opportunities to be around horses. I agree with whoever said, "There's something about the outside of a horse that's good for the inside of a man."

With easy access to horses, city kids would benefit by learning how to take care of horses, how to earn their respect and how to ride. Imagine a child who's had nothing but trouble in his or her life. A broken family, being picked on at school, an uncertain and insecure future. Now introduce that child to horses. Teach him or her how to earn the horse's respect. Horses are happy to have a leader they can trust. Teach him or her how to groom the horse. Then teach him or her to ride. There's something fulfilling in knowing you can control a 1,000+ pound animal. It felt good when I could get the horses on my trail rides to speed up, slow down, stop or turn when I asked them to. Success in one area of life can translate into success in other areas. Confidence builds confidence. A child who's learned to control a horse - through earning the horse's respect, not through intimidation - may be more able to stand up to that bully at school.

If I had the power to do it, I would definitely add a riding stable and horse trail to Theodore Wirth Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment