Thursday, June 13, 2013

Too Old?

I sometimes wonder if I'm too old to learn how to ride a horse. A lot of women my age who are riding horses either have been riding for years or had ridden when they were younger and have started riding again. But are there women my age who are only just now learning how to ride?

I started with an Internet search. From that I discovered that there are women my age and even older who just started learning to ride. One article noted the health benefits that come from learning to ride at an older age. Among the things that can improve by learning to ride: weight loss (it's not just the horse who works physically during a ride!); emotional health (the old "There's something about the outside of a horse that's good for the inside of a man" as well as the fact that horses are often used in therapy); and improved balance (you need to have a good sense of balance to stay on a horse!).

On the other hand, there are disadvantages as well. The ground can seem harder and farther away for older riders. Stiff joints can be more noticeable for older riders. Normal aches and pains can feel more intense if too much time has been spent in the saddle too soon.

Safety precautions are needed for everyone who rides, no matter how old they are. First is an ASTM/SEI approved helmet. It needs to fit properly or it's useless. Both Tipperary Equestrian (phoenixperformance.com) and Troxel Helmets (troxelhelmets.com) provide sizing charts. Second is appropriate footwear. Leave the tennis shoes at home. They can slip through the stirrups, which can lead to injury. Boots are needed to ride safely. A third item - which I only learned about recently - is a safety vest. Safety vests are rated by ASTM (the same one that approves helmets). Vests imported from Europe are rated by BETA and/or CEN. As with the helmet, if you go with a safety vest, be sure it's approved by one of those organizations. The helmet and boots are must-haves; the safety vest is a good idea, but might be harder to find - and definitely more expensive.

After the helmet, boots and vest, the next thing to find is the right instructor. I'd want someone who is experienced with working with adult beginners. I want an instructor who assumes I know nothing. Better to know more than the instructor thinks I know than to know less than the instructor thinks I know!

I'm not ready to take lessons yet, but it's comforting to know that women much older than me are learning to ride horses for the first time. Once most of my ducks (at least the most important ones) are in a row, I'll start looking seriously into taking riding lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment