Monday, July 1, 2013

BarrelSim

BarrelSim is a PC game created by Rodeo Software. It has two different simulations - barrel racing and pole bending. I don't remember when I bought it, but I do know I had it before I went to Fort Worth last year. I brought it along with me so I could play it in the evenings. It requires having the CD in the computer to be able to play. (My hotel had free wi-fi, so I had brought my computer along. My laptop along with my riding helmet made my carry-on luggage heavier than my checked luggage, but I digress. . .)

The cover says it has "ultra realistic game play." Never having tried barrel racing or pole bending in real life, I'm not sure how realistic it is. The horse doesn't move the way real horses move when I'm watching barrel racing, but that could be due to the fact that it's a PC game, rather than one for Wii, Xbox or PlayStation.

I learned early on not to bother with the pole bending part of the sim. I'm worse at the pole bending than I am at the barrel racing - not that that's saying much. I stink at both games, but I stink less at barrel racing than I do at pole bending.

The game comes with three versions - practice, multi-player and online.I only play the practice version. I can't play the multi-player version, since I don't have anyone to play with/against, and I'm not sure if I'd want to even if I did. The online version is out of the question for me. Aside from not being competitive, other online players would probably get a good laugh out of how bad I am. My best score so far has been 23.642 seconds since the time I started keeping track. My worst time has been 29.973 seconds. If I ever am able to score 18.000 seconds and under on a regular basis, then I might consider trying competing online once. But only once.

The cover also says,"For the same reason pilots need flight simulators, barrel racers and pole benders need BarrelSim." Again, I don't know how accurate that statement is. I don't know if my friends who are barrel racers have ever played the game or what they think of it if they have.

For me, playing BarrelSim will probably be the closest I ever get to barrel racing. So I'll enjoy playing the game and  be satisfied with watching real cowgirls do the real thing whenever I have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment