Sunday, July 21, 2013

Protect Your Brain

There is one basic safety rule when it comes to horses that is frequently ignored, particularly at horse shows, especially when it comes to Western events. The rule? When working with horses - even on the ground - always, always, ALWAYS wear a helmet designed for horse back riding!

No matter well-trained a horse is or how experienced the rider is, accidents can happen. In 2010, Olympic dressage rider Courtney King-Dye suffered a traumatic brain injury when her horse tripped and fell. She wasn't wearing a helmet and she is still recovering from her injury. English riders seem more willing to trade in their traditional hats for helmets than Western riders are to trade in their cowboy hats for helmets. Effective April 1, 2013, the USEF (United States Equestrian Federation) requires helmets for all dressage riders, who normally have worn top hats.

At the 2012 Olympic Games in London, British Dressage rider Charlotte Dujardin became the the first gold medalist to wear a helmet in dressage competition. After having fractured her skull in a riding accident previously, she has become a strong proponent for helmet use.

14 year old barrel racer Megan Sparks was featured in an online interview in Western Horseman. She wears a helmet instead of a cowgirl hat. She doesn't care what other people think of her. She knows how important it is to protect her brain.

I do have my own riding helmet, which I bought before I went to Fort Worth in April 2012. Even though the stable I used for the two trail rides has loaner helmets, I felt more comfortable wearing my own. I knew it would fit me and I knew the history of its use. I also used it later that month when I took advantage of the free horse rides at the Minnesota Horse Expo. Even if I only use one or two more times - or even if I don't use it at all again - I will replace it before the first time I go riding after April 2017, as helmets need to be replaced every five years, even if the rider hasn't fallen. If the rider falls, the helmet needs to be replaced immediately. While I like my cute pink helmet, when I replace it, it will be with another Troxel helmet, this time one with a more Western design. If Schatzlein's Saddle Shop doesn't carry the particular one I want, I'll ask them to order it for me.

Minnesota 4-H requires helmets for all members and volunteers when riding. Unfortunately, that rule only applies to riding, not to groundwork.

Even when doing groundwork, it's a good idea to wear a helmet. No matter how cautious you are or how calm your horse normally is, accidents can happen even on the ground. Better to wear a helmet and not need it than to need it and not be wearing it.

If you spend time around horses, be sure always to wear a helmet. Protect your brain!


No comments:

Post a Comment