Thursday, July 11, 2013

Not Taking The Easy Road

Looking ahead at the two horse related options I have other than being more than a cowgirl at heart - writing and drawing - both are labor intensive. Neither one, even if I'm successful, will have a quick payout. Both require putting my work out to be judged as to whether or not it meets the necessary standards.

If I had to choose only one of the two, which one should I choose - and why?

Writing has the advantage of being something with which I have experience. I've had two editors who have paid me for writing. One was the editor of a children's Sunday School take home paper. That editor bought a short story. The other was the editor of a high school take home paper. That editor bought three of my personal experience articles.

My art hasn't been quite as successful. I used to customize fashion dolls. I've sold two of them. When it comes to drawing, I can count on one hand what I've sold - and have five fingers left over.

Writing would seem to be the best choice, since I've actually earned some money from writing in the past. It would be exciting to go on book tours to promote my children's novels. I could have tables at horse shows to sell my books and talk with the kids about their horses - maybe even pick up some more ideas for novels.

Yet, whenever I look at the work of Tim Cox (http://www.timcox.com/) or the art covers on Western Horseman magazine or the art information in every issue of Cowboys & Indians magazine, I find myself drawn into the world of drawing horses. I think how fun it would be to walk into Schatzlein's Saddle Shop and see greeting cards with my artwork on them. As with the novels, I could have tables at horse shows to sell my art. I could do sketches from photos right at the shows.

I do want to do both. The art will be harder than the writing, since my art needs more work. Lots more work. I will do both. Because it's the more challenging of the two, the art will be where I put in the most time. I'll continue to do both on a daily basis, but for now I'll spend more time drawing than writing.

Who knows? Maybe someday my children's novels and my art will make me a sought-after guest at horse shows. Anything can happen!


No comments:

Post a Comment