Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Independent We Stand

A vital part of our economy is made up of small, locally owned independent businesses. They help keep money in local neighborhoods. They provide jobs in local neighborhoods. The money you spend at a small local business doesn’t go to an overpaid and underworked corporate CEO. It goes to help a family pay their bills and pay the salaries of their employees – who will then have money to spend to help the local economy.

Out of every dollar spent at a locally owned business, sixty-eight cents remains in the local community.  Out of every dollar spent at a national chain store, only forty-three cents remains in the local community.

I try to buy as many things as I can at locally owned businesses. When I want refills for my favorite shampoo, conditioner or hand lotion, I buy it at Schatzlein’s Saddle Shop. It’s a family-owned business that’s been in Minneapolis since 1907. I’ve been there often enough that Jan Schatzlein’s Australian Shepherd will roll over and ask me for a belly rub when she sees me. The refills would cost less at Cub Foods, but I buy them at Schatzlein’s.

When I want to buy the newest issue of the new English translation of the Japanese Sailor Moon comic book, I’ll check Barnes & Noble online to see when it’s due to be released. Then I’ll go to the Source Comic and Games in Roseville to buy it. They would cost less at Barnes & Noble online, but I buy them at the Source. I count the owners among my friends and I know several of their employees.

When I need loose green tea leaves or coconut milk, I buy them at United Noodles in South Minneapolis.

When I’m ready to buy better art supplies, I’ll buy them at Wet Paint in St. Paul. They may cost less at JoAnn, but I’ll buy them at Wet Paint.

If I want to buy pa’u skirts (they’re skirts used for hula Hawai’i, but in Minnesota they’re just pretty skirts), I’ll order them from the Hula Supply Center in Honolulu. Granted, it doesn’t help the Minnesota economy, but because it’s an independently owned store, more of the revenue will stay in the local community there.

Granted, not everything I want or need can be found at small, locally owned independent businesses. But for everything that can – even if it’s more expensive – I will buy at small, locally owned independent businesses.


Shopping small and local is good business for local economies.

No comments:

Post a Comment