Friday, July 12, 2013

Beyond Success In The Saddle

The Success in the Saddle workout DVDs are meant to strengthen the muscles used in horseback riding. The stretches in Horseback Riding for Dummies are meant to stretch the muscles before riding. Horseback riding itself is a great form of exercise.

Is there more needed? Isn't everything listed above enough? If I thought that, I'd hardly be writing an entry titled Beyond Success In The Saddle.

Types of exercise recommended for equestrians include aerobic, weights, pilates and yoga. Yoga is one I will never try. Since yoga has its roots in the Hindu religion, as a cowgirl of faith, I don't want to open myself to that influence, even if it is unintentional. One of the easiest aerobic exercises I do is climbing stairs. My apartment has direct access to the basement, so almost every morning I go and down the stairs for 15-20 minutes. I follow the stair climbing with strength training. I have some aerobic workout DVDs that combine fitness moves with hula moves. I need to be a little more motivated to use those, but I do have fun using them.  Live Strong has some information about exercises for equestrians. Here's a link to the results that came up when I entered "horseback riders" in the search field: http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=horseback+riders

I've found I feel better when I work out. I actually enjoy working out and am disappointed when I miss my morning stair climbing. When I'm finally able to ride on a regular basis, I'll be fit and ready for it - even if it doesn't happen until I'm in my sixties or seventies.

No comments:

Post a Comment