Sunday, July 7, 2013

There's A Pattern For That


Reining is one of the most spectacular equestrian events I've seen. The Breyer horse and rider pictured above are performing reining's signature move, the sliding stop. The model doesn't do the move justice, but I don't have the rights to show a photo of a real horse and rider performing this move. This photo is one of my own model horse and rider sets and I took the photo myself. Reining is the only Western event approved by the FEI. Internationally, the U.S. dominates the event. In the three times reining has been included in the World Equestrian Games (2002, 2006 and 2010), the U.S. won the team Gold Medal all three times.

Reining is a judged event and there are twelve patterns. Among the things included in the patterns are slow small circles, large fast circles, 360 degree spins, rollbacks, flying lead changes and the sliding stop. Sometimes just watching the series of 360 degree spins is enough to make me start to feel dizzy!

A horse of any breed can be a reiner. I've seen it at Arabian Horse and American Quarter Horse competitions. I've seen a YouTube video of a Gypsy Vanner Horse competing in reining. For horses that compete only in reining, a special shoe called a slide plate is used on the hind feet. There are also saddles made specifically for reining. It is essential that a reining horse wear protective leg gear.

One caution when training a horse in reining is not to overtrain, especially when it comes to patterns. If the same entire pattern is practiced over and over, the horse will either get bored or will start anticipating the next part of the pattern. A horse is only supposed to perform the parts of the pattern when the rider gives him the appropriate cues.

Since I'm not competitive, I don't imagine myself ever competing in reining. It would be fun to try at least once, though. But if I ever do want to compete in reining - there's a pattern for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment